Tuesday 19 May 2009

Chocolate Orange Cake - No Cook!


The other day I got really excited as a big glossy mag advertised on their cover about a 'no- cook cake'. Hooray! I thought. Another raw cake makes its way into the mainstream world.

However, it was just an everyday usual cake - that didn't need cooking but was still full of sugar, milk, golden syrup, alcohol, double cream, icing sugar... and ok, some raw raspberries! There is another way people! And I have the recipe!! It's more of a torte than a cake - and I think it happens to be delish!

Victoria Torte (see what I did there?!)

the base...

2 x cups of buckwheat flour * 
2 x cups almond flour (I ground up the almonds in my high speed blender)
4 x heaped tbsp lucuma powder (www.detoxyourworld.com)
3 x tbsp agave nectar
4 x tbsp apricot paste (this was made by whizzing up one cup of apricots with a little warm water from the kettle)
pinch of pink salt
4 tbsp melted coconut butter
4 tbsp water

Mix all together with your hands and then press the mixture into a torte/flan dish, taking care to press up the sides too.

Now it's time to make...

the filling...

juice of two small oranges
1 avocado
6 tbsp coconut oil
pinch of pink salt
4 tbsp agave or other sweetener
4 heaped tbsp chocolate powder (I used Green and Blacks for this recipe)
2 x tbsp lucuma powder

Blend all the ingredients until you get a thick creammmmmmmmmmmm x

*  I soaked my buckwheat first then dehydrated the groats, then ground them into a flour! If you are not able to do all of this, then you can just soak them and grind them in the food processor. In saying that, I don't know how that will turn out as I wanted the buckwheat to be totally smooth in my cake. You could also try ordering from www.rawliving.eu  - they sell 'Buckwheaties' which you could then grind into a flour. 

Now, I think this covers it all - if any ingredient has been left out, this will still make a tasty cake!! When I blended all the filling ingredients, I can't tell you how gorgeous it was to pour into the torte dish on top of the base.... such smooth, velvety, chocolate orangy sweet goodness!!

If you want an all-raw version, of course, just use raw choccie powder. I can't have much of the raw stuff as it brings me all out in eczema but that's another post!!

Enjoy making and eating the cake xx



No comments:

Post a Comment