Thursday 23 April 2009

My Dreamy, Creamy, Cacao-Date Smoothie


Ah... poor Innocent Smoothies! They are in for a rough ride due to them selling a 20% per share of their business to none other than Coca Cola. They maintain they will be the same company with the same ethics and that they hope to positively influence Coca Cola... but surely they are missing the point! Business ethics aside, the drink Coca Cola has never and will never serve humanity! It is a fizzy, sugary drink which is highly addictive! The defining moment for me was when I was walking through rural Swaziland and I saw a lonely vendor selling Coke. It was then I knew how much power sugary water had in the world. 

SO! If you want to carry on buying Innocent Smoothies, that is of course entirely up to you and I am not going to blog about the rights and wrongs of this - only that to make your own smoothie is a joyous activity, it won't even be 'slightly pasteurized' and you will know exactly, EXACTLY what is going in it!

Here is a delicious smoothie recipe from my book, 30 Days in the Raw (buy from my site www.littleguru.co.uk if you want 24 more recipes like this, from smoothies, to cakes, from fudges to crackers!

My Dreamy, Creamy, Cacao-Date Smoothie

Juice:
1 apple
a large slice pineapple
half a lemon

Pour into your blender and add:

half an avocado
a handful of chopped dates
2 tbsp cacao nibs or powder
2 bananas
1/2 tsp spirulina

Now whizz on high speed for a minute then pour into a lovely tall glass. Chill for 30 mins or sip straight away!

If you want to serve this a pudding, then serve in small ramekin dishes and garnish with mint leaves, cacao nibs or maybe even a slice of mango!

NB If you are new to raw cacao, I recommend having much less in this smoothie, more like one or two teaspoons instead of tablespoons! The first time I had this I was wired for hours! 

No comments:

Post a Comment