Tuesday 14 April 2009

We are Noodle Folk


One of my favourite films is Kung Foo Panda and one of my favourite foods is the noodle! I don't care what kind of noodle it is, I just like to wind it round my fork and eat! I have always loved noodles, which is why when I started to eat 'maw along the path of raw' I wanted to find an alternative that still satisfied me on a taste AND a forking level.

Spiralizing courgettes is great but doesn't cut the mustard. Same with carrots and beetroot. I just know they are not noodles. They don't curl round the fork as you would expect a dish from, say, Noodle Nation to. And whilst they taste great, the sensation of 'noodle on tongue' only gets 2 out of 10. 

So thank heavens for the Sea Tangle Company in the USA for providing us with KELP NOODLES! Kelp is a type of seaweed but I assure you, these do not taste of the ocean! They are clear, glass-like noodles that wind delectably around the fork, as noodles should. You can make them taste of whatever you have stored in fridges and cupboards and the noodle satisfaction is actually 1o on 10!

So where can you get these from in the UK? None other than pioneering super/raw/lovely food company www.rawliving.eu! You can get a 340g bag for £6.90 - which I slightly blanched at when I first received the package through the post because two packs, with postage and packaging added nearly came to £20.

But then I prepared my first kelp noodle meal. And I discovered that they actually go a long way! They are surprisingly filling and when mixed with the curly courgette and carrot they all marry very well together indeed.

I have just started on my second packet and whilst I know they are not cheap, I know that four packets of these a month will stretch to several meals. And as I don't have any other real vices, let noodles be my vice instead!

Order yours from www.rawliving.eu - I have tried several times to get into contact with Sea Tangle themselves but to no avail! I would like to know how possible it is to get them delivered straight from the USA and if it would be cheaper - but for now, Raw Living is the way ahead. Beware though! You may end up ordering one of Kate's delicious cakes at the same time!

Here is how you can make your noodles taste delish!

Put one courgette through the spiralizer 
Get a handful of kelp noodles (rinse) and put both in a bowl
Shake over some shelled hemp seeds
Squeeze on half a lemon
Drizzle over one tbsp flax oil
Mash in half an avocado
Chop in some fresh tomatoes
Splash over some tamari soy sauce
Mix together

The noodles are quite rubbery when they come out of the packet but when mixed together in this delicious way, they settled down and behaved like proper noodles should. I can't quite believe how lucky I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment